Closed Door

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Part 64


Dear Diary, 

Got a text from Cal not to worry but that he wouldn’t be home until in the morning … maybe … or possibly tomorrow night.  Not sure what it means; texting is so limited.  He has said we aren’t to put anything vital or private out and I can understand that, yet at the same time knowing he isn’t going to be home but not knowing why … well, I just don’t like it.  He says not to worry and when Daniel said that I eventually learned that that was exactly when I should start to worry. 

Got a visit today.  I’m not sure what to make of it.  It was a woman, a little older than me I think or at least so she looked.  She told me she was in the Coast Guard and was wondering if I would be willing to tell her and some of the others what the different fruit trees were in their compound. 

I asked her with a smile, “You aren’t from around here are you?” 

She shook her head.  “Boston.” 

I laughed but not at her and she understood.  “I didn’t think so.  Tell you what, I can’t leave the house but if you bring me leaves off the trees I’ll be happy to tell what they are.  But can I ask you something?  What made you come ask me?  Surely someone over there knows what the plants and such are.” 

“Saw you and that man … your husband? … eating things straight off the trees while ah was woking the gahd dawgs.  Thought to ask before we eat anything.” 

I know I’m not getting her accent right but it was pretty fun to listen to.  She was friendly but not overly friendly.  She and another woman and a guy came over with a box full of stuff.  I wound up having to go back into the house and come out with scrap paper, tape, and a permanent marker to help them label the different types of plants.  

Most of what they had was citrus but they had some kumquats and loquats too.  And they brought a sea grape leaf and I told them, “Around April or May you’ll be able to eat those too.” 

The young man who sounded like Mississippi to my ears said, “Are you serious?” 

Smiling I told him, “Yeah, you can eat them when they go to a deep purple color.  Some people make jelly out of them … and wine too for that matter.  I never was able to gather enough to do much more than eat them fresh.” 

That’s all there was to it.  The first woman that came over did warn me not to go wandering over near the compound.  Made me want to ask why they had then come wandering over to mine but I didn’t.  I think they were actually trying to be nice and keep me from getting into trouble.  Personally only an idiot would go snooping where they obviously weren’t wanted.  What am I going to do?  Throw Feena in a sling and get dressed all in black and spy on them or something?  Yeah.  I want to get shot. 

Wonder what Cal is up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment